When first recorded, Salomon Mounds had three (possibly four) large platform mounds and as many as eight smaller mounds arranged around a central plaza. The smaller mounds have now been plowed away, while one of the large mounds (Mound B) was destroyed in 1958 to provide fill for road construction. Of the remaining mounds, Mound A is the largest at roughly 26 feet tall. Its location on the southern bank of Hull Brake makes it appear nearly twice as tall when viewed from the northwest. Mound A has an apron or ramp facing toward the northeast and currently has a 19th century cemetery located on its summit. Mound B was originally located across the plaza about 400 feet southeast of Mound A, but nothing remains of it today. Mound C, located adjacent to Mound A to the southwest, is currently just over six feet tall. In 2013, professional archaeologists excavated a portion of the northeast slope of Mound A. They discovered that Native American people built the mound on top of a rich midden deposit about eight inches thick. Pottery as well as radiocarbon analyses indicate that the midden dates to the Late Woodland Period (ca. AD 700-900). The mound itself was built during the Early Mississippi Period, beginning around AD 1200. In recognition of its outstanding cultural and historical significance, Salomon Mounds was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.