Law Mounds originally consisted of three earthen mounds arranged around a central plaza. It is located on Foote Bend, a formerly active channel of the Mississippi River that was connected to Swan Lake Bend during the Late Mississippi Period (ca. AD 1350-1600). Of the three mounds, Mound A is the only one that is clearly visible today. The largest of the original mounds, it is just under 20 feet tall and has a ramp extending from its summit towards the plaza to the south. Mound B was originally recorded at 13 feet in height and was located southwest of Mound A, near the current roadway. Though no longer visible, professional archaeological excavations in its former location encountered a pre-mound midden with associated artifacts and features. Mound C was formerly located on the east edge of the plaza and has long since been plowed away. Its original dimensions are unknown. The mounds were built during the Mississippi period (AD 1200-1600), though Native Americans may have been living at Law as early as AD 1000. A dugout canoe found in the bank of nearby Swan Lake may be contemporaneous with the Law Site and represents an important mode of transportation for the region's Native American population during this time. The canoe is on display at the Museum of Mississippi History in downtown Jackson, Mississippi. Mound A at Law can be viewed from the road leading into the Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge.