The Carter Site consists of two earthen mounds separated by a plaza area. Although this site is less than two miles away from Rolling Fork to the south and Mont Helena to the north, it was not contemporary with either. Professional archaeologists who excavated at the site in 2013 determined that the mounds were built by Native Americans around AD 1000 and abandoned roughly a century later, perhaps as a result of widespread political reorganization that took place in the region at that time.
Excavations determined that Mound A was built in at least two stages, the first of which had a ramp extending from the summit towards the east. The fill used to build the mound was mined from nearby and contained broken pottery and other refuse that suggests the mounds were built on the site of a Late Woodland village that was continually occupied beginning around AD 400. Mound A is currently 13 feet tall. However, about six feet of the mound's base is covered by accumulated sediment, making it appear much shorter than it is.
Mound B is a burial mound and stands at just under seven feet tall (though its base is also buried by about six feet of sediment). Excavations in the western flank of Mound B revealed that it was constructed in multiple layers using a technique called basket loading.